The style of your home is crucial when it comes to the selling process. Prospective buyers form lasting impressions the moment they step through the door. So with that in mind, we’ve enlisted the help of some of the country’s best interior design bloggers to give their advice on styling a home.
Our new, regular home style tips feature, kicks off with Keri-Anne from Gingerlillytea, who talks wall hangings, wicker hampers and tells us her favourite place to shop for homeware.
Sum up your blog in 10 words:
A lifestyle blog full of photography, interiors, crafts and adventures.
What’s the first thing you notice when you go into someone’s house?
I really do notice people’s style. I love to see how other people decorate their houses and how they layout their rooms. I love to take inspiration from them and sometimes you can find completely new ways of arranging a room that you didn''t even think of.
If you could only improve one room in your house which one would it be and why?
My living room. We put up a wallpaper a few years ago because my husband wanted to have a feature wall in the room. We have both started to go off it and I cannot wait to strip it off and create a wall hanging feature there with all of my woodland animal prints. We also have a big mirror fixed to the wall above our fireplace and I am on the lookout for a vintage botanical chart to hang there instead. I really cannot wait to get the room finished.
What’s the one blog post of yours you’d recommend to someone looking to sell their house?
I love creating home style posts and I think this post would be a lovely one to share. In this post, I share my own wall features. Most of my walls are cream and I love to create unique features on my walls. I would love to inspire others to be able to create their own unique spaces to make their home their own to show potential buyers what they can do with the space.
What are your top five interior design tips?
Don''t decorate a space just to follow a trend. You have to live in it so create something that you love.
- Don''t decorate a space just to follow a trend. You have to live in it so create something that you love.
- Use blank wall space to create unique spaces where you can show your favourite prints/items. Have a play around with hanging different things and every time you walk into that room, the feature will make you smile.
- I love to use wicker hamper baskets to store things away. They can be great to put on top of wardrobes, under your bed or you can make a feature of them in the corner of a room by stacking them up.
- If you have a small room, try and keep it as light and airy as possible. It will really open up the space and make the room look bigger than it is.
- Using wallpaper as a feature wall can be so beautiful. There are thousands of prints you can choose from nowadays such as botanical, woodland creature themes, or even bright and bold colours. It really can make a room and you are bound to find one that you love and that matches your personality.
Finally, where should we be buying our homeware from and why?
HomeSense. Oh my goodness. Their range is wonderful and you can get such unique items for your home. I love spending hours roaming the aisles and making many wish lists in my head.