On 29th March 2019 House Network Limited trading as House Network entered administration, Universal Acquisitions Limited acquired the trading rights of House Network on 29th March 2019 and subsequently ceased the trading activities whilst the business is restructured.

Any customers of House Network Limited who paid a marketing fee before 29th March 2019 should contact the administrators of House Network Limited for further advice.

POSTED 20 September 2018 General

Do I Need An Electrical Certificate to Sell My House?

In the UK, there are around 30 deaths and 4,000 accidents annually involving electrics. So electrical safety in the home is extremely important not just from a legal standpoint but a well-being one too.

Having an electrical installation condition report, also known as an electrical certificate, verifies that all electrical installations in a property is in full working order, and can help to protect against electric shocks and fires.

homeowner electrical certificate 

But do you need an electrical certificate to sell your home?


As a seller, you have no legal duty to provide a buyer with any electrical safety certificate.

However, the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting does recommend that an inspection is carried out on all domestic wiring installations every 10 years or when a change in ownership occurs – whichever comes sooner. That said, the onus is usually placed on the buyer for this, rather than the seller.

Is there any related certification that I do need?

If you’ve had any alterations or additions made to the electrics in your house or flat since 1st January 2005, you will need to acquire a Part P Building Regulation Certificate before selling your property. This is required even if the work was carried out by a registered professional. You should then pass the certificate on to a buyer.

If, for any reason, the work does not meet Building Regulations standards, the local authority has the power to force an owner to alter or remove it.

The legislation applies to new and old properties, as well as any additions, such as an extension or conservatory. It covers everything from large works to even minor alterations, including:

  • Installing a new electrical circuit, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage.
  • Replacing the fuse box.
  • Altering or adding to an existing circuit (such as a new socket) in a special location such as a bathroom or shower room, or swimming pool or sauna heater. However, a new socket in your kitchen would be exempt.

What if i'm renting my property

The story is slightly different if you are a landlord renting your property. Although there is still no legislation obligating you to have an electrical safety certificate, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants.

You need to ensure that electrical equipment and the electrical system are safe, so it’s a good idea to carry out annual checks as you would be liable if things were to go wrong.

The electrical certificate

The electrical installation condition report shows the condition of the electrical safety of a residential or commercial property and verifies the safety of the electrical installations.

How long does it take?

  • With fairly new wiring, let’s say carried out within the last 30 years or so, the check should only take about two to four hours.
  • For older properties the process may be slowed down a bit if lots of faults are detected with the dated wiring.

The report will also take longer to carry out on a large properties than a one bedroom apartment.

Looking to sell your property?

If you’re looking to sell your property, get your FREE no obligation home valuation visit from our local property expert.

Alternatively, use our free online valuation tool* to get an idea of what your property might be worth

*The online tool provides an estimate based on data collected via a computer based algorithm. It will not take into account any home improvements or economic inflation.