On 29th March 2019 House Network Limited trading as House Network entered administration, Universal Acquisitions Limited acquired the trading rights of House Network on 29th March 2019 and subsequently ceased the trading activities whilst the business is restructured.

Any customers of House Network Limited who paid a marketing fee before 29th March 2019 should contact the administrators of House Network Limited for further advice.

POSTED 09 July 2018 Lettings

Council Tax - Who is Liable when Renting ?

When it comes to renting property, there are lots of things you need to consider in order to avoid surprise bills and potential fines. Your landlord or letting agent will provide a contract for you to sign prior to moving in, which will set out your liabilities, so you need to make sure you read it thoroughly.

It’s not uncommon for some landlords to include utilities and Council Tax within the monthly rent, however usually it will be the tenant’s responsibility to arrange and pay these directly. 

If your contract stipulates that you as the tenant are liable to pay Council Tax then you must consider the following:

    1.  How old are you?

Council Tax is usually due if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home. We use the word ‘usually’ here as there are certain scenarios in which you can be older than 18 but not be liable to pay 100% of Council Tax (please refer to point 4 to check if you could be due a discount on Council Tax)

    2.  How many of you will be living there?

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

You’ll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:

  • You live on your own
  • No-one else in your home counts as an adult

You’ll usually get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult (please refer to point 4 to check if you could be due a discount on Council Tax).

council tax bill 

     3.  Are you a student?

You won’t have to pay any Council Tax if everyone in your home, including you, is a full-time student.

   4.  Do you fall into any of these categories?

The following list details those who don’t count as an ‘adult’ and therefore may be due a discount on Council Tax:

  • Children under 18
  • People on some apprentice schemes
  • 8 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • Student nurses
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • People with a severe mental impairment
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who isn’t their partner, spouse, or child under 18
  • Diplomats

Here at House Network we know that when it comes to renting property there’s a hundred and one things to arrange when you move in, which can often seem stressful.

We hope that these tips help clarify whether you are liable to pay Council Tax or if you are entitled to a discount. We strongly urge you to speak to your local council if you’re unclear; the fine for not paying Council Tax can be hefty!